Welcome to Creative Nation!

Welcome to Creative Nation, . Feel free to browse our forums and help yourself to all our free tutorials, images, and recources!

Download

To download this script go back to article »

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial
  • Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Announ10
  • Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Tutori10
  • Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Profil10
  • Portal 2 Signature Tutorial New_pr10
  • Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Back_t10

The next generation of web design.

You are not connected. Please login or register

+3
Emilio
virtuosity
LH Justin
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Empty Portal 2 Signature Tutorial 5/1/2011, 3:15 pm

LH Justin

LH Justin

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_t13

Opening Message

Welcome to the tutorial! Today I will be teaching you how to make a Portal 2 signature with limited resources. You will probably learn some useful tricks along the way, but if you don't, you still get a signature out of it. First, get your render, some nice splatter brushes, a few C4D's, and a stock image.

Setting Everything Up

Open a new document and set the dimensions to 350 x 135 in pixels. Now open your render and copy and paste it into the new document. Then resize it to fit.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_o10

Adding a Background

Paste your stock and drag it around until you get a nice looking background.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_t10

Creating Some Background Lighting
Create a new layer and use some large soft white and black brushes on overlay to change the background's lighting to match the render.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_t11

Creating Some Flow with C4D's
Open a couple of your C4D's, paste them in the document, set the layer mode to screen, and move them around until it creates some flow in your signature.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_f10

Creating Some Flow with Brushing
Now to put your brushes to use. Create a new layer above the layer you used your soft brushes on. Now switch out to some of the splatter brushes you downloaded. Set them to one color; I used #99b158. Now just keep brushing until you are happy with the new flow it creates in your signature. If you make a few mistakes use the eraser tool with a soft brush and light opacity. After you're done set the layer to screen.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_f11

Background Coloring
Now create a new layer below the lighting layer. We're going to spice up the background colors. Select the brush tool and use about a 250px soft brush. Select the same color you were brushing with before, except now instead of setting the layer to screen, you're going to set it on color.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_s10

Adding Background Flow with a C4D
Okay, this step is going to be really quick. Open up another C4D and paste it right above the background layer in a way that it works with the flow of the rest of the signature.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_s11

Lighting Touch Up
Now make a new layer above everything and set it to overlay. Switch to one of you messier splatter brushes, set the color to white, and touch up the lighting a bit to make it more dynamic. Play with the opacity until it looks right.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_e10

Blending with the Liquify Filter
This step is gonna take a while, so pace yourself. Create a new layer above everything. Now go to Image, Apply Image. This will create a flattened version of every layer you have. Now go to Filter, Liquify. Play around until you get a funky pattern that you like and when you're done hit Ok. Now set the layer to overlay. You will see that this has drastically changed your signature. Clean it up by erasing the layer around the render and any other parts that look funny. you should now have some very nice lighting and colors.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_n10

Burning and Dodging Touch Ups
Once again, create a new layer and go to Image, Apply Image. Now use the burn and dodge tools to touch up anything that looks weird.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_t12

Adding Borders
Now that the actual signature is done we're going to add the borders. Select the line tool, set the color to black, and the size to 3px. Now hold the shift key and drag it across the signature. Move it to the very bottom of the signature. Now duplicate the layer and move it to the top.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_e11

Adding Text
The last step is just to add the text. I chose #b9d1b2 as the color and just added a green outer glow. The font I used was Verdana. You can put the text wherever you want. I chose to put it above the portal gun.

Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Step_t13

Completion Message

Congratulations on completing the tutorial! You now have a brand new signature! Hopefully you've picked up a few tricks to use in your future designs. If you had any trouble try repeating the tutorial to figure out what you did wrong or need to improve on. If you need further help then just post in the topic and I will try to answer your question.

http://www.lhjgraphics.net/

virtuosity

virtuosity

Nice job although the lighting is hard to match in that render since it is so harsh.

Emilio

Emilio

Its nice explained, Good Job Justin!

LH Justin

LH Justin

virtuosity wrote:Nice job although the lighting is hard to match in that render since it is so harsh.
Yeah, I really wanted to do a Portal 2 signature though, and that's the only render I could find. :/
Emilio wrote:Its nice explained, Good Job Justin!
Thanks!

virtuosity

virtuosity

I understand (:

The render is at least good quality.

Ronin

Ronin

Nice!

LH Justin

LH Justin

Ronin wrote:Nice!
Thanks!

Gangstar15

Gangstar15

Wow! Wow!

Saxaca

Saxaca

Never knew the stock image thingy. G'work! Tongue

10Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Empty Re: Portal 2 Signature Tutorial 5/2/2011, 5:38 pm

LH Justin

LH Justin

Thanks guys!

11Portal 2 Signature Tutorial Empty Re: Portal 2 Signature Tutorial 5/8/2011, 5:09 am

Payton

Payton

Amazing, simply put - would love to try this out one day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com.